Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Letterkenny Mile

Inconsistent. This is an awkward place for me. I had prided myself on the consistency of my races in college, yet upon reflection that was only born out of the continuity of my training: three uninterrupted years of training.

So now I find myself on the other end of the spectrum. One week 3:58 in the mile, the next, 4:06. It's a frustrating place to be when so many people have invested so much time and resources into my European trip and I don't reach my potential. And this, too, is born out of my training. While very good under my coach Dennis, it took until March 1st for us to find a groove as coach and athlete, striking that careful balance between quality and volume in which I would not only find health, but success as well. Now with almost 5 months of consistent training under my belt, it has been enough for PRs in the mile, 3k, and 5k. But what that ultimately indicates is the clear potential for further growth as an athlete with continued consistency.

On the start line at the Letterkenny AC Sub 4 Minute Mile Challenge


A good friend, amazing coach, and even better mentor, Steve Price, once told me that it never mattered how great one workout was, only how many good workouts one could string together. As I reflect upon the last 4-5 months, I see myself on the former side of that statement, but certainly working towards the latter.

So as I gear up for my final 5k of the season in Heusden on Saturday, I will attempt to put this race behind me and hope that the pendulum of performance swings in my favor. I know the fitness is there and the opportunity is incredible, so I will have to wish myself well into a fast time and great race.
As a side note, I want to say thanks to Letterkenny Athletic Club for hosting such a great event and especially to Daragh McDaid for all his work to put on such a class of a field. Many thanks for showing us a beautiful part of Ireland!
Beautiful Irish hills in the background of Letterkenny


Finally I want to say a special thanks to Stephen Cunningham and his wife Courtney for driving all the way up from Dublin just to watch me run for 4 minutes. Stephen and I were good friends back at the University of Cincinnati and he now serves in the Irish Defense Forces. A great pleasure to see a fellow Bearcat!

Good friend and fellow Bearcat, Stephen Cunningham




Full Results:


1 comment:

  1. Eric, good to read that you are seeing the world, and that your running is taking you there. Not to worry about the 4:06. Consider it experience and an investment in the future.
    George Brose

    ReplyDelete